An allergic reaction is possible if you are allergic to naproxen sodium (the active ingredient) or any of the non-medicinal ingredients in ALEVE®. If you have ever had hives, facial swelling, asthma (wheezing), shock, rash, skin reddening or blisters after taking a pain reliever or fever reducer, do not take ALEVE®. You may have a serious reaction. If an allergic reaction occurs, stop use and seek medical help right away.
If you are taking any other drug, talk to a doctor or pharmacist before use to determine whether ALEVE® is appropriate for you. Interactions from using two drugs at the same time are possible. (Interactions are the effects that result from using two drugs at the same time; one may make the other less effective or cause mild to serious side effects.)
No pain reliever, including ALEVE®, should be taken while using any of these other products unless you’re directed to do so by your doctor. If you are taking acetylsalicylic acid (ASA) on a daily basis, check with your doctor before using any other pain-relief product.
It is not recommended to use any over-the-counter product beyond the labeled expiration date. Like all drugs, ALEVE® can deteriorate over time and not be as effective once it is past its expiration date.
While we recommend that the product be swallowed whole with a full glass of water, you can chew or crush the tablet or caplet. Regardless of how it is taken, it is recommended that it be taken with a full glass of water. However, the liquid gel capsules should not be cut or crushed and should be swallowed whole with a full glass of water.